CRIME MINDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CRIME MINDS

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Latest imagesLatest images  
Latest topics
» Facebook Friends
Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 12:20 pm by Admin

» 4-10-2010 Search in the Desert
Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 11:43 am by nnrpece

» Mother of Baby Gabriel goes on hunger strike
Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 5:21 pm by LindaOz

» Park Found where Elizabeth Johnson passed Baby Gabriel off
Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 1:11 pm by LindaOz

» Strange Finding in West Desert
Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:40 pm by mandypandy

» Series of Blunders by Police
Coordiate Search for Susan EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 12:34 pm by LindaOz

» Josh Causing Scene in Strip Club
Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 pm by LindaOz

» The Search Continues
Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 4:26 pm by LindaOz

» Susan's Family on Dr. Phil
Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 1:23 am by LindaOz

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Coordiate Search for Susan

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LindaOz
Admin
LindaOz

Coordiate Search for Susan Empty
PostSubject: Coordiate Search for Susan   Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 2:32 am

The purpose of this forum is for volunteers to coordinate efforts to search for Susan Powell, missing from West Valley, Utah since 12/7/2009. Please post in this thread if you wish to organize a search, or to report areas searched so the this will not be repeated by other searchers.

Since police are unfortunately not involved in the searches, please read the thread "If You Find Something".

Please feel free to post any other discussions about the case by starting a "New Topic" so we can keep this one just on searches.
Back to top Go down
https://crimeminds.forumotion.com
LindaOz
Admin
LindaOz

PostSubject: Re: Coordiate Search for Susan   Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 2:45 am

I will be going out tomorrow AM to start searching for Susan, starting on Highway 73, headed west into Tooele County and into the West desert, but probably not Simpson Springs, which already been searched.

I had previously contacted West Valley Police in the hopes that they could advise of a starting point but have not heard from them. Hopefully as they get more details, they can supervise volunteers and K-9 groups to do a formal search. In the meantime, I just don't want to waste the little time we have before the next snow.
Back to top Go down
mandypandy

PostSubject: Re: Coordiate Search for Susan   Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 1:03 pm

Good luck and please be careful.
Back to top Go down
nnrpece

nnrpece

PostSubject: Re: Coordiate Search for Susan   Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Good luck and please be careful,. Are you going with a group of volunteers, that would be the safest. Smile
Back to top Go down
LindaOz
Admin
LindaOz

PostSubject: Re: Coordiate Search for Susan   Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 1:18 pm

There has been a LOT of rejection of any search efforts from the Mormon church to which Josh, the #1 person of interest, is a member because they feel that "Josh could never do such a thing". Any posts related to searching have been deleted, and it's been a huge obstacle. It has been almost impossible to get any input as to areas he likes to camp, vehicle description, etc., so the search area can be scaled down to something smaller than the state of Utah, and a few surrounding states. I only had 2 other searchers with me yesterday, starting in an area I know he has camped. As Josh refuses to help police, etc., the church is finally starting to see things differently and are even starting to consider search efforts! However 11 valuable days have been lost, it's snowed, and there is little chance she would still be alive if left out there in the freezing desert unless she were able to use a cave, mine, abandon building and build a fire.

Flyers SHOULD have been immediately distributed with the person of interest's vehicle description & photo to all campsites along the Pony Express Trail and areas he has camped as there likely would have been witnesses to identify a search starting point. Needless to say, this has been extremely frustrating.

Last edited by LindaOz on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Frozone

PostSubject: death canyon   Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 7:05 pm

I have read several posts on KSL speculating about the possibility of the body being hidden in a mine shaft. With the ground likely frozen solid that night this might be the answer. I know very little about the west desert, but just by doing a little research online I have learned of Death Canyon. This canyon is apparently littered with mine shafts, and located near enough to Simpson springs that someone who has been to Simpson springs might have been there too, yet it is far enough away (14 miles 55 minute drive according to google maps) that it probably would not be searched as part of Simpson springs. According to google maps and depending on which route was taken, driving from West Valley to death canyon could account for up to 10 of the 18 hours that Josh was "camping", leaving around eight hours to sleep, eat, and pretend to be camping so that the kids would go along with his story. He may have even had less free time and more travel time than that because the road conditions would not have been good that night/day. Has anyone searched this area? Equipment and expertise for going into mines would be needed, probably including rappelling gear for entering vertical mine shafts.

Back to top Go down
LindaOz
Admin
LindaOz

PostSubject: Re: Coordiate Search for Susan   Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Frozone wrote:
I have read several posts on KSL speculating about the possibility of the body being hidden in a mine shaft. With the ground likely frozen solid that night this might be the answer. I know very little about the west desert, but just by doing a little research online I have learned of Death Canyon. This canyon is apparently littered with mine shafts, and located near enough to Simpson springs that someone who has been to Simpson springs might have been there too, yet it is far enough away (14 miles 55 minute drive according to google maps) that it probably would not be searched as part of Simpson springs. According to google maps and depending on which route was taken, driving from West Valley to death canyon could account for up to 10 of the 18 hours that Josh was "camping", leaving around eight hours to sleep, eat, and pretend to be camping so that the kids would go along with his story. He may have even had less free time and more travel time than that because the road conditions would not have been good that night/day. Has anyone searched this area? Equipment and expertise for going into mines would be needed, probably including rappelling gear for entering vertical mine shafts.

Thanks for posting. I have heard from several people about Death Canyon. I have not been out there but would like to go. Do you know if a rear-wheel drive can handle the trails? I know he could get to Simpson Springs with the minivan,

I've been in contact with a man who is with a professional search group who specializes in mines. He is very familiar with the West Desert area and I am hoping we can get a formal search together. Since some of these abandoned mines are extremely dangerour, I thought about K-9 help. At this point the dogs may be able to quickly check the mines so that only those they alert on could be searched, if there is a safe way to do so. We are waiting to get the approval of Susan's father, Chuck Cox before initiating anything.

We have more snow coming in tonight which complicates matters, but this search team can work in all weather conditions.

I appreciate your input!
Back to top Go down
Frozone

PostSubject: Re: Coordiate Search for Susan   Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 9:46 am

I've never actually been there, so I'm not sure about the roads, but they look ok on google maps. All the information I learned about death canyon was from a utah outdoor activities website. For some reason this forum won't let me post the link, but if you search "death canyon utah" on google its the first or second link. Keep us posted on potential searches. I don't have any search and rescue experience, but I can walk and I have eyes and would love to help if there is a chance to.
Back to top Go down
LindaOz
Admin
LindaOz

PostSubject: Re: Coordiate Search for Susan   Coordiate Search for Susan EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 11:09 am

Frozone wrote:
I've never actually been there, so I'm not sure about the roads, but they look ok on google maps. All the information I learned about death canyon was from a utah outdoor activities website. For some reason this forum won't let me post the link, but if you search "death canyon utah" on google its the first or second link. Keep us posted on potential searches. I don't have any search and rescue experience, but I can walk and I have eyes and would love to help if there is a chance to.

Frozone - I think the reason you couldn't post a link is because you aren't registered with this site - which is fine as I wanted people to have easy & quick access the forum for Susan. I know registered members can post all the links they want. If you want to register all we need is an email and you will be approved.

Thanks for the info on Death Canyon, I'll check the site you were on. Thank you for your interest. I'll try to get an update on whether Susan's dad has approved a search.

Linda
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coordiate Search for Susan   Coordiate Search for Susan Empty

Back to top Go down

Coordiate Search for Susan
Page 1 of 1